Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thoughts From a Muggle....

I just watched the new Harry Potter movie this evening.  I hadn't read the Deathly Hallows since it came out about 3 years ago, so I am sure that the movie strayed away from the book a good bit...as most movies made from books tend to do.*  But, I still loved it.  There was one line in the movie that has had me thinking all evening.  As in all the other movies, Harry has a mission, but it isn't easy.  At one point, emotions get high and Ron frustratedly asks Harry, "Don't you ever get frustrated that Dumbledore told you that you need to destroy all of the horcruxes, but he didn't at all tell you how?  Doesn't that bother you, mate?" (paraphrased....I didn't take notes like the lady sitting in the row in front of me.  True story.  There was even one lady that brought her book with her and followed along.  I wish I was joking.)


This made me think of how I feel about God and the job He has given me to do.  I'm still alive and kickin' so I must still have a purpose.  The hard part is that God didn't really give plain instructions on exactly how to achieve this task.  Sure, I have the Bible and have the general instructions to follow Jesus and do what He would do.  I got that.  (And by "I got that" I mean, I understand that is what I am supposed to do, however I don't really do it very well.  Just wanted to be clear). But what about me specifically?  What am I supposed to do to complete my, Katie McNemar purpose with the days that God has given me?


Throughout all of the Harry Potter books, Harry has never felt prepared or worthy of the task he has been given.  He almost accidentally does things right.  He will have no clue what to do and then one of his friends will show up out of the blue talking about gilly weed and then, BAM! he's back in the game.  Or he finds himself face-to-face with Voldemort right after He Who Must Not Be Named just killed Edward Cullen (aka Cedric Diggory) and has no idea how he is going to get out of this mess and then his deceased parents come to the rescue via his wand (still don't understand that part).


I find that my life is the same way.  I will be in a situation where I know I have to do something, and I have to do it fast, but I have no idea what to do or how to do it.  I'll feel totally helpless; sitting at my desk wishing that my black sharpie was a wand so that I could expecto patronus my way out of this corner I find myself in.  But instead, I get a random phone call from someone that has the wrong number, but just so happens to be the key to all my problems. 


God may not have given me a point-by-point instruction booklet on how to live out my purpose in life, just like Dumbledore didn't tell Harry exactly how to complete his mission, but despite my inability to do the right thing or feel prepared in any way, He is still able to guide me and show me the way down the narrow path.  In general, things in my life always find a way of working out.  I might feel like everything is horrible and that I will never figure it out, but God is using little imperfect me even when I feel like I can't go on or that I'm not cut out for the job.  In fact, it seems to me that God likes to use people that feel like they aren't cut out for the job and have no idea what to do.  I believe He does this because it is these folks that are willing to lean on Him and others instead of feeling like they have all the answers and can go it alone.  We are strongest when we lean on Him and allow others to walk along side us.  So here is a list of ways that Harry Potter relates to me and/or my life:


1) Hermione and I both have uncontrollably frizzy hair.  Honestly, it's like Yahoo Serious ova here.
2) Hermione and I also have a knack for falling for guys that are clueless gits and have no idea that we like them and then go off and make out with the Lavender Brown's of the world (i.e. annoying girls that fall all over them, treat them like they are king of the world, yet only stick around for a little while until the newness wears off and then go off and find another guy to fawn all over.) (Do I sound bitter?  I'm not. Really I'm not.  Okay maybe a little.)
3) I share the same haircolor as the Malfoy family.  It is an unfortunate coincidence.  Blonds apparently don't have all the fun....especially when they are has-been death eaters.
4) Even when I try to turn back from my purpose, I am somehow lead back.  I feel like this happens to Harry all the time.  The only times that he gets the guts up to do things is when he has his friends backing him and he is out to save someone other than himself.
5) Dumbledore only tells Harry certain things and certain times in order to protect him and keep him safe.  I feel like sometimes I want to know exactly what's going on, but God knows its best that I wait.
6) Harry and I both wear glasses.  Just like Harry, I don't really "have" to wear glasses.  I could wear contacts or get lasix done, but I don't want to.  Harry could do some kind of magic somethingorother and fix his eyesight, but he doesn't.  (I mean, they can regrow bones, so I am guessing they can work with eyeballs).  I wear my glasses because they are more comfortable, and also do disprove the saying that "guys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses".  Ah contraire mon frere, guys DO make passes at girls who wear glasses....I am living proof.  Wink!
7) Because of a sacrifice of love, Harry was able to live and fight against the darkness that wants to destroy the world.  Because of Love's sacrifice I am able to live and fight against the darkness that wants to destroy the world.

I am sure there are a million more parallels I could draw, but this list will suffice for now.

Love,

Frizzy-Haired Glasses-Wearing Katie

Have you seen the new Harry Potter movie? If so, what did you think?  What are some similarities you have with any of the characters or situations in the books/movies?





*If you've never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, then this post might be slightly confusing. However, I think you'll be able to get the basic premise which is this: I don't know what the hell I am doing.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, I love that Harry survives living with Dudley and his aunt and uncle. They reminds me that people fear what they don't understand. They mock Harry and insult him but he puts himself above all that.
    I love that no creature is too strange or no human or giant is too different for him to look at them face to face and not think them inferior because they are not like him. We should all be more like that and appreciate what makes others different.
    I like that Dumbledore does not give Harry all of the answers. We all know that he could go back in time if he wanted to and correct what happened. Harry is so pleased when he figures out things for himself. He asks his friends to help him. He thanks them and tells them how genius they are. We should all be more like that and give credit to others. We don't always have to get all of the attention. We need to be more modest.
    My very favorite thing in the movie was Hermoine's purse. I am like you Kate. I feel like my purse and its content have saved the day more than once. If it was a bottomless pit, I would be so prepared that I would always be ready for a picnic, a boat ride down the river, a walk on the beach, Christmas shopping with you and Dana, to name a few.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinkin'?